We’d hoped to be launching this exhibition of stunning black and white paintings and works on paper in the gallery as well as online. However circumstances have sadly dictated otherwise. While health is our absolute priority and we fully support the need for widespread business closures and other restrictions, we also have a great commitment to bring you the culturally-rich and joyous Aboriginal art from the many communities and artists we represent.
At the moment this is online via comprehensive catalogues, online exhibitions and our filmed curators’ talks.
And so to our new exhibition. In Black + White features 49 works by 38 Aboriginal artists – ranging from the well-known and established to the emerging in wide range of styles by artists of the Eastern Deserts, APY Lands, the Kimberley, Arnhem Land, the Western Desert, Central Australia, the Tiwi Islands and Victoria.
• paintings by senior artists Betty Muffler and Doris Bush Nungurrayi – finalists, National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Art Awards 2020
• a powerful new work by leading Utopia artist Barbara Weir in ochres and crystals from her land
• a wide range of innovation within tradition in geometric abstracts by Western Desert artists Hilary Tjapaltjarri, Robert Nanala, Walter Jangala Brown and Marshall Jangala Robertson
• works on paper by Victoria’s Jack Anselmi, Arnhem Land’s Mulkun Wirrpanda and the artists from Waralungku Arts, Borroloola
• images based on women’s ceremonial art by Utopia artists Charmaine Pwerle, Lizzie Moss Pwerle and Natalea Holmes Pula
• works of country by talented emerging artists: The Kimberley’s Louise Malarvie and Ernabella’s Yanyi Dunn, Lynette Lewis and Tjulyata Kulyuru
(The exhibition is installed in the gallery and may be seen through the windows. However we do not wish to encourage anyone to make a trip for non essential purposes, so unless you’re in Flinders already, please enjoy the exhibition and its catalogue online!)
Free delivery to the Mornington Peninsula and Melbourne Metropolitan area.
Call Susan on 0419 896473 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with any enquiries.